1. Will Stomico products work with my brand or type of wafer or appliance?
Stomico products work with most brands and types. Consult your ET Nurse to determine if the Stomico Ostomy Pliers are compatible with your brand or type.
2. I have a one-piece system, can I use the pliers?
Yes, you can cut stoma openings in some one-piece systems. Refer to #1 above. Click here to read more about using Stomico's Ostomy Piers with one-piece system.
4. Will Stomico products assist all types of ostomates?
Yes, colostomy, urostomy and ileostomy patients can benefit from this improved method of preparing correctly sized openings in skin barriers/wafers.
5. Will the disc cut through the adhesive cover?
No. While the Cutting Discs are sharp, they are designed to cut through the wafer material, not the adhesive cover. Place the cutting edge against the wafer material, not the adhesive cover.
6. Why do I need to twist the pliers after I punched the pliers?
This twisting motion completes the cutting process. If the adhesive cover does not cut through, simply peel away the completely cut stoma opening from the wafer or appliance.
7. Which direction do I twist when cutting?
Always twist the Pliers clockwise (while holding the wafer firmly so that it does not move or even twist the wafer counter clockwise). Twisting the Pliers counter clockwise will loosen the disc.
8. I have an oval shaped stoma. Can I use the pliers?
Yes. If the oval is slight, use the measuring rule to find the correct size hole that will allow the cut opening to fit over the largest diameter of the stoma. If the oval is significant, after selecting the Cutting Disc size for the width, make two holes next to each other to create the oval opening, and then use the pliers to remove the small edges that are left where the holes overlap. Click here for a illustration on how to cut an oval shaped stoma.
10. I used to get a clean cut when I punched the pliers, but I'm not getting a clean cut anymore. What do I do?
The Cutting Discs will dull with use. Your Cutting Disc probably needs to be replaced. Simply screw the old Cutting Disc off (it is recommended that you use a soft cloth to grasp the Cutting Disc to ease removal and prevent slight cuts even though the Cutting Disc is dull) and dispose of properly. Screw on the new Cutting Disc. Don’t forget to order a replacement Cutting Disc.
11. How do I replace the disc?
The Cutting Disc simply screws on and off of the threaded end of the punch-pliers. A soft cloth will assist with grasping the Cutting Disc for ease of removal and to prevent slight cuts. Remember to dispose of the used Cutting Disc properly.
14. Will my insurance pay for the pliers and discs?
You will need to contact your insurance company to find out what is specifically covered and the reimbursement level. It has been suggested to ask for a prescription for the products from your doctor and submit it and your receipt to your insurance company.
15. Does Medicare cover the cost of the pliers and discs?
CMS suggests that you submit your receipt to Medicare and ask for reimbursement with Code E1399-consideration will be on a case to case basis.
16. Where can I purchase Stomico Ostomy Pliers?
Stomico Ostomy Pliers and Cutting Discs can be purchased at our online store. You may also purchase pliers and cutting discs at participating medical supply companies..